A specialised multilingual, cross-disciplinary resource
A documentation centre was created when the Institut International de la Marionnette (IIM) was founded in 1981, using a donation from Jean-Loup Temporal, and completed over time by donations and acquisitions. It was particulary enriched in 2013 by the library of puppeteer Jacques Chesnais and that of the academic Brunella Eruli.
• a library of more than 9,000 works and more than 100 periodicals from all over the world;
• a videotheque containing more than 1,800 documents;
• an iconotheque of about 10,000 photographs, posters, postcards;
• manuscripts both typed and hand-written;
• literature connected with research (acts of congress, MA and PhD theses etc.)
• almost 3,000 documentary files on companies, festivals, theatres, schools, museums, in France and
all over the world, as well as theme-based files;
• archives : The Alain Recoing collection; the Claude and Colette Monestier collection; the Geneviève
Leleu-Rouvray collection; the Thierry Dufourmantelle collection; the Brunella Eruli collection.
• 2 collections of objects : a patrimony of more than 300 puppets from all over the world; a collection of puppets created during activities at the IIM and ESNAM by students and their masters : Roman Paska, Philippe Genty, Mimmo Cutticchio, etc.
• databases on companies, festivals, places of training, museums and researchers.
• Bibliographies, videographies, webographies.
Investigation, video recording and digitization
In order to collect memories of the profession (shows, social and cultural contexts, training processes etc.) the Research Centre investigates companies, managing photographic campaigns, interviews, video recording, and coordinates digitization campaigns.
Mission of cataloging
The Institut International de la Marionnette is finally able to offer for consultation the entire collection of the books in its archives.
Thanks to a double grant from the Bibliothèque nationale de France (French National Library) in the framework of its policy of associated poles; and the Service du Livre et de la Lecture (Department of the Books and Reading) in the framework of the PAP plan, the IIM has benefited in 2014 from an 8-month assignment for the creation of a catalogue, carried out by Benjamin Troyon, and a retroconversion service by Azentis. This action will enable the 4700 books, written in the languages of the 5 continents, to be accessible to the public, including the contents of the library of the puppeteer Jacques Chesnais (1907 - 1971), and of the academic Brunella Eruli (1943 - 2012), who was the founder and editor of the review Puck, La marionnette et les autres arts.
You will find all these works in the new catalogue in the documentation centre.
All the team of the Research and Documentation center are at present working on the valorisation of the iconographic funds (photographs, posters, postcards), archives, objects and manuscripts, for which the same work is still to be done.
Opening hours : Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm - Wednesday : 12:30 am - 6:00 pm - Friday : 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Contact : email@example.com