The Institut International de la Marionette centres around three main activities: training, creation and research. It is a place for reflection on the art of puppetry and welcomes a diversity of artistic forms.
- Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Arts de la Marionnette (ESNAM), National higher school for the art of puppetry: a three-year training of actor-puppeteers (State-certified Diploma)
- International workshops : high-level workshops are aimed at professionals of stage
- Teachers, pupils and students education to the art of puppetry
Creative and professional development programme
- Residence programmes
- Public presentation, international school meetings
- Resource centre with a specialized library, a video library and a photo library
- International research residences (with or without grant)
- Thematic meetings
- Puppet collections - exhibitions
The ESNAM (National Higher School for the Art of Puppetry) is the only school in France which gives initial training to puppeteers-actors. The course lasts 3 years after which a State Diploma in the Art of Puppetry (DMA) is awarded.
In additional to this the Institute offers a programme of training for professionals with summer workshops focusing on the combination of different disciplines. Priority is given to young professionals from all over the world.
The Research Centre equipped with a specialised library and a video library and a theatre where shows are staged, makes the Institute a permanent place for exchanging ideas and knowledge, with researchers in residence, the organisation of themed encounters, seminars and the publication of books and periodicals.
The creative programmes extend the initial training provided by the School. Their purpose is to help establish the careers of young artists by offering participants the chance to combine training and experimentation. These programmes are supported by the Champagne-Ardenne Regional Council.
Exhibitions are another aspect of the Institute's role, bringing puppetry in its diverse forms to the attention of a wide public.
The Institute is also committed to informing and acquainting teachers, pupils and students in educational establishments with the art of puppetry.